Learn and understand the story of King David
Consider personal attributes
By the end of the lesson, the children will have learnt about the life of King David and considered what makes a good person.
King David Fact File
The Story of David and Goliath
David Beckham Biography
Cheryl Cole Biography
- Brainstorm: A Good and Bad Person – Split the board in half with the headings Good Person and Bad Person. Children to suggest characteristics and attributes for both type of people. Continue with the question: Does doing bad things make you a bad person? Can you be a good person and a bad person?
- The Story of King David – Read through the King David Fact File, discussing each section as you go. List any thoughts or questions about David’s character on the board so that children can refer to it later.
- The Story of David and Goliath – Read the The Story of David and Goliath and discuss why David was able to defeat Goliath when no one else was able to. Again, children to list any thoughts or questions about David’s character on the board.
- Option 1: Write a Biography – Using the David Beckham and Cheryl Cole biographies, as well as the King David fact file, children to create a biography of King David.
- Option 2: Drama – Children to act out the life of King David, thinking about the different stages of his life. Children should plan the roles and the order of the play. Split the class into small groups and give each group a different scene to rehearse and perform to the rest of the class.
- David: A good or bad person? – Referring back to the introduction brainstorm, children to judge whether King David was a good or bad person. List his attributes and determine which attributes go into which column. Can you be a good person if you do some bad things?